Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Woodworking while camping-the next iteration

We camp in primitive Forest Service campgrounds more than 30 days a year and I really enjoy woodworking outside in such beautiful locations.  There's always a heavy, rugged picnic table in the site and I take advantage of it by clamping a bench raiser to the top and laying out my tools on the seat.  I went through several iterations before I settled on what worked for me.

I made a nice portable tool chest but it has proven to be unsatisfactory.  It is heavy and awkward to get out  and put away every day in the confined space where I store it, it slides around on the move and it takes up a lot of space.  I decided to come up with something different.  Scratching my head, I noticed something about my "bench:"


When it's turned over, there are two compartments that are about a foot square each.  I decided to make two boxes that would fit in them so they would be secured in transit and conserve space.  Dividing the tools up would make the boxes easier to handle and, as often happens, I came up with a crazy idea.  What if I made the tops of the boxes a shooting board and a bench hook?  I have been carrying them anyway so this would let them do double duty and save space.  Here's what I came up with:


Each box contains a top tray...


and space for larger tools in the bottom:


They aren't big enough for saws, so I made a separate till for them:


Everything together is quite compact:


I consider this what auto designers call a development mule and, with 20/20 hindsight would do some things differently but they seem like a step forward and I look forward to getting some experience with them.

4 comments:

  1. For someone who doesn't like making boxes you have done a few in the past few weeks. Great idea and use of space for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right but sometimes I really need a box so I give in. :-)

      Delete
  2. Andy,

    All I can say is wow, just wow. Great use of space. My Japanese style tool box works but is too big and heavy to comfortably handle by myself. I expect I will follow your lead and make two smaller boxes (Japanese) and see if I can make the lids do duty as a bench hook and shooting board. The double duty tops are one of those "why didn't I think of that" things.

    I can't remember actually making anything while camping but I've made a lot of sawdust and shavings all with great joy. It is one of the best things, working at the bench outdoors, I found for the soul.

    We may miss our PNW trip this year because Pat's parents are in their 90's and I haven't visited them in several years. It is looking like Scotland instead. I don't think my Moravian and Japanese tool box will work as carry on :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet there are many chances to explore Scottish woodworking in museums and other places. I try to do this whenever I travel.

    ReplyDelete