Thursday, September 28, 2017

Dumb but now better than OK

Recently, I knocked a quarter-inch chunk off the tip of the top horn on the handle of my Lie-Nielsen dovetail saw.  I have no excuse whatsoever.  When I do something like this, I just shake my head and wonder how I could be such an idiot.

I certainly wasn't going to leave the handle that way but I wasn't looking forward to making or buying a new handle.  Holding the handle, I noticed for the first time that it was kind of tight for my very large paw and it looked like it might be more comfortable if the horn were shorter.  With nothing to lose, I used a quarter to draw a new shape and had at it with my TFWW saw handle maker's rasp.  I originally purchased this when I was shaping a saw handle, but now I use it regularly for all sorts of things.  It's the only hand cut rasp I have and the shape and random fine teeth are perfect for shaping of compound curves.  It's a must have.

Reshaping took only a few minutes and, to my great surprise, I ended up with a handle that I like better than the way it came from the maker.


  Really.  It fits my hand better and I can't see how it detracts from the saw's handling.  I don't think it looks bad either, although maybe that's a rationalization.


I read that Lie-Nielsen finishes its handles with a wiping varnish, so I applied two coats of satin Arm-R-Seal to the repair.  As expected, the tip of the horn is somewhat lighter but I think it will age and doesn't look bad anyway.


This was one of those lucky occasions where a dumb move had a happy result.  It got me thinking.  What other tools that I have would I like to personalize?  I might even try it without damaging the tool first.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a pro did it, great job. This may get me to reshape a couple of my saw handles that just aren't quite right, thanks!
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,

    I have often said it is better to be lucky than good. This may be a case of you being both.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch and good recovery... It is always a good idea to, if you have to, reshaped handles to better it your paws. A good fit is so much better, less tiring and increase precision.
    When I buy a saw the first thing i check is the fit in my hands

    Bob

    ReplyDelete