Sunday, October 13, 2013

Maude

I don't normally give my tools names, but I made an exception in the case of my Stanley Bailey #7, Type 17.  Let me explain.

I already had a nice Sweetheart #7 that I paid a lot for but someone was selling his father's planes in one lot and it included Maude.  If you aren't familiar with Type 17s, they were made during World War II when some materials weren't available.  The depth adjusting knob is bakelite instead of brass for example.  The castings are much thicker, making the plane a lot heavier.  I have read various explanations for this, a lack of skilled labor and a lack of the stones used to refine the rough castings are the two most common.  Who knows, but these planes aren't real attractive and I didn't have high expectations for her when she came home with me.

When I checked her sole, I was surprised to find that she was dead flat, the only Stanley plane I have ever found this way.  Her blade was in bad shape, so I bought a Hock blade and chip breaker and tried her out.  She worked so much better than my Sweetheart I could hardly believe it.  I have since used Lie Nielsen jointers and she works just as well.  Amazing.

There was a problem.  She was pretty unattractive with her ugly knob and painted knob and tote.  I had a brass knob, a rosewood knob and a rosewood tote from a donor plane.  I  replaced her parts, carefully saving them, and she looked a lot more attractive.

I have several new premium planes but Maude is my favorite plane.  I really like her heft as I think the momentum she had is an advantage in a plane like this.  Here's her picture:



(If there are any women (or men) reading this who object to me calling my plane a female name and somewhat sexist description of her attributes, like NOAA's new policy regarding the naming of hurricanes I have named my Disston ripsaw Harold.)


1 comment:

  1. Whew, glad to read you're being politically correct. On the flip side there is no picture of Maude to gaze upon.

    ReplyDelete