Monday, April 30, 2018

Stickley Sideboard, Part 4

With spring weather finally having arrived, work on the sideboard has slowed to a snail's pace.  There are just too many things to do outside.  I have however made some progress.

The drawer's are supported by what Chris Schwarz calls a "web frame:"


It's made of a secondary wood, poplar in my case, pine in his.  It is glued to the front stretcher and rests on cleats along the sides.  There is a gap along the back to allow for seasonal wood movement (recall that the grain on the sides is vertical).  An unusual drawer divider is fastened to the front of the frame and the bottom of the top front stretcher (removed in this picture).  It is also fastened to the rear stretcher.


The grain is vertical so it will move with the sides.  This is new to me and I will be interested to see how it turns out but, in principle, it seems like a good idea.

The carcase is just about done.  All I have to do is put in the bottom shelf and attach the top.  While I was working on this, the offcut from the curved front stretcher caught my eye:


The original has a rectangular backsplash but this just looks so good to me I am seriously considering it.  The rectangle is just boring:


I'm torn because I really want to stick close to the original Stickley design.  I wonder what Harvey Ellis would say.

2 comments:

  1. Andy,

    Looks a nice clean build. I agree, I like the curved backsplash.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on the curved backsplash.

    ReplyDelete