Thursday, February 15, 2018

A small tweak to my Moxon vise

I've written why I regard having a Moxon vise as indispensable even though I view a bench vise as optional.  Mine lives on the end of my 8' bench.  It stays there most of the time but I do sometimes need to take it off and want to be able to do so quickly.

Traditionally, Moxons were held in place with holdfasts and that is what I have been doing, though that hasn't been entirely satisfactory to me.  Besides tying up two holdfasts, the vise does rock slightly and the less steel I have around my saw teeth the better I like it.  It suddenly struck me that I have a split top on my bench that I could take advantage of.  I found a large carriage bolt, drilled a hole in my vise and, voila:


I have two bench dogs in place that keep the vise from twisting.  Those and the bolt keep the vise rock solid.  To remove it, you loosen the bolt and slide the vise off.  Although I need a wrench to remove it, that doesn't bother me and I could buy a large wing nut if I wanted to.  A wooden screw would be nice.

I am still bothered by the fact that I am using the version I made with bar clamps as opposed to my "nice one" with acme screws that sits on the shelf.




No comments:

Post a Comment