Monday, February 13, 2012

Get woodworking #4

With the addition of a few measuring and marking tools and a cordless drill, the focus can turn to projects.  Tools and techniques would be acquired as needed to complete the projects.  I'd have them start by building a couple of saw benches like the one I built.  Very easy and functional.  Then, it's time for a Nicholson bench built from construction lumber, like the ones Bob Rozaieski and Mike Siemsen made.  Mike told me he will be publishing an article on building a highly simplified one in a day for $100.  After that, I'd have the beginner go through Bob Rozaieski's tools and techniques podcasts, starting here.  I also like the project series for beginners in Jim Tolpin's The New Traditional Woodworker.  You learn techniques while constructing useful tools.

I came to hand tool woodworking from power tool woodworking with a fully equipped workshop, so my introduction was different.  I can easily date the exact moment it began:  December 14, 2009.  That was the date Bob Rozaieski posted his first podcast on the Porringer tea table.  This beautiful little table is an ideal hand tool project and really opens your eyes to what is possible with hand tools.  Bob's step by step introduction to hand tool techniques is very accessible.  For me, making cabriole legs was a turning point.  I made a first version from alder I had, then a second and finally a third from claro walnut.  I benefited from this project immeasurably.

The main point I have tried to make in my contribution to this discussion is the importance of lowering barriers to entry in time, cost and skill.  We need to make it as easy as we possibly can to get started.

1 comment:

  1. Very useful post. Really this post help the beginner woodworker. Thanks for share. Please keep sharing your resource with us.

    ReplyDelete